Monday, November 24, 2008

Seasonal Confusion

Talk about total seasonal confusion! I went outside to bring the recyclables to the car and decided to walk around the yard a bit. I discovered a few surprises while out there.

We have had frost, snow, & freezing temps; the whole winter thing the past few weeks has chilled me to the bone. Yet, for all that... There was the tiniest of butterflies fluttering round my dead Rose of Sharons! I watched it flitter and hover round my soggy, dead garden for a few minutes in wonder, before it decided to really move on. I have no idea how it has survived this long, or where it hid during the coldest, soggiest times. It did bring a smile and joy to me, so thankful I am that it has made it this long.

Once the lil thing moved on I looked at my bleary garden, missing its green cheer... And saw a hint of green. Closer inspection led me to discover the silly cat nip plant that refused to grow all summer was quite alive! Healthy, vibrant green, it has a bunch of leaves, barely budded and mature ones both. THAT brought out a squee of delight! My kitties are happy for it too... But I have really missed my annual harvest of it for teas. Yes, teas. I love to blend my own teas; some other people love, and some still more cant seem to appreciate. *chuckles* Still, they are my own and I love them. Cat nip, a mellower member of the mint family, has always been part of my tradition.

So here I sit with a cup of cat nip and chamomile, and a HUGE smile. I may not get as much of a harvest as I would have liked, but at least I will get more than I expected.

1 comment:

methatiam said...

catnip tea?

...and still leagle in all 50 states :-)